45 die as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh
Ballia (UP): At least 45 people, mostly
women and children, drowned when an overcrowded boat capsized
in Ganga river in Dubahar area here on Monday.
The boat was carrying about 60 people to a private
function when it sunk this morning, in perhaps one of the
worst such tragedies in the state.
"Rescuers found 45 bodies till late in the evening. Among
the dead were 17 children, 14 women and 14 men," Superintendent
of Police B N Tiwari said.
He said 17 people were either rescued or managed to swim
to safety. A few more people were missing.
The occupants, mainly from four families in Ujveria
village, were proceeding from Ojhawalia ghat to attend a
family function on the other side of the river, Additional
Director General of Police Brij Lal said.
A magisterial inquiry was ordered into the cause of the
mishap even as a senior officer said prima facie it was a case
"The inquiry will be conducted by additional DM A K
Dwiwedi. An FIR will also be lodged against the driver of the
vessel," District Magistrate C Senthil Pandiyan said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mayawati announced an ex-gratia
of Rs 1 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the mishap.
The chief minister directed officials to carry out rescue
and relief operation on a war footing.
Governor B L Joshi also condoled the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way
- 10-year-old boy injured after minor girl forces sex in Kanpur
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore