45 workers died at CWG sites: Govt
New Delhi: As many as 45 workers died at the sites of Commonwealth Games during 2008 to 2010, the Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
"45 workers, including contract workers, died at the sites of Commonwealth Games during 2008-10," Minister of State in the Labour and Employment ministry Kodikunnil Suresh said in a written reply to a query in Lok Sabha.
Commonwealth Games were held in Delhi from October 3-14 in 2010.
Suresh also said the central government received complaints regarding violation of labour laws, especially the provision of safety and health measures provided for the workers.
He said in 2010, prosecution had been sanctioned in 18 cases and there had been conviction in nine cases.
In response to another question, Suresh said a proposal for reducing threshold limit from 20 to 10 employees for coverage under Employees` Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 is under consideration of the government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai