45,000 Indians staying illegally in UAE will return: Ravi
Hyderabad: As many as 45,000 Indians staying illegally in United Arab Emirates (UAE) are expected to seek amnesty announced by the Gulf country, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi has said.
The two-month amnesty announced by the UAE government asking illegal residents to either leave the country without penalty or regularise their visas will start today and will end on February 3.
The Minister in a letter written to various state Chief Ministers has also requested them to make provisions for free air tickets to poor and deserving workers from respective states held up in UAE.
"In the last amnesty in 2007, approximately 40,000 Indians exited UAE based on the ECs issued by the (Indian) mission. As per our mission estimate, around 45,000 Indian staying illegally in UAE will seek amnesty as and when it is announced," Ravi said in his letter.
As most of the illegal immigrants are poor and low paid workers they will not be able to meet the cost of air travel to India and the Indian Community Welfare Fund created by the ministry will not be sufficient top meet the demand, the Minister said.
"I request you (chief ministers) also to make provision for free air tickets to needy and deserving workers from your state who is permitted to leave UAE under the amnesty scheme. I am expecting appositive response from you," the minister requested in his letter.
According to the UAE government, the amnesty will apply only to those who have overstayed their visit or resident visas in the UAE and not infiltrators, who would be treated like criminals.
Illegal residents, who have overstayed can visit residency departments across the UAE to obtain out passes and leave the country without penalties. They can also regularise their visas after paying fines between December 4 and February 3.
The country had announced a similar amnesty in 2007 during which 342,000 illegal immigrants either legalised their stay or left the country. Around 300,000 illegal immigrants left the country under another amnesty, which ran between January and April, 2002.
Similarly in 1996, about 200,000 illegal residents left the country under a six-month long amnesty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!