4.7 lakh students sit for IIT-JEE exam
New Delhi: Nearly 4.7 lakh students on Sunday
appeared in the IIT-Joint Entrance Examination for admission
to prestigious 15 IITs, ISM Dhanbad and IT-BHU.
The number of candidates has gone up to 4.72 lakh this
year against four lakh candidates last year, Prof T S
Natarajan, Organising Chairman, JEE 2010, said.
The students qualifying the test will be eligible for
admission into B.Tech programmes in these institutes offering
over 10,000 seats.
About 90,000 candidates from National Capital Region have
registered for the test. The results will be announced on May
The IITs have decided to conduct online counselling for
general category students this year. This will give relief to
students who earlier used to go to different counselling
centres for securing a seat for themselves.
However, the OBC candidates will have to go to the exam
centres for counselling where their certificates will be
The test comprises two sessions. The first session
started at 9.00 am and will continue till 12.00 noon while the second
session will start from 2.00 pm. The papers had questions on
Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country