48 killed in mishaps at unmanned level crossings in 2012-13
New Delhi: Forty eight people lost their lives in accidents at unmanned level crossings during 2012-13, Lok Sabha was informed on Thursday.
31 people lost their lives in 2010-11, but the number rose to 115, almost four times, in 2011-12, in mishaps at unmanned level crossings, Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Choudhury said in a written reply.
Railways has paid 10.88 lakh compensation to families of victims of accidents at unmanned level crossings in 2012-13, while Rs 2.22 lakh was paid during 2011-12 and Rs 17.41 lakh in 2010-11.
There are about 14,000 unmanned level crossings across the country.
Railways has proposed elimination of 10,797 level crossings (LC) during the 12th Five Year Plan and not adding any new LC to the rail network henceforth.
There are 6,165 road overbridges and subways at level crossings being constructed at the moment.
However, Choudhury said Railways has no statutory liability under the Railways Act, 1989 or Claims Tribunal Act, 1987, for payment of compensation in case of accidents at unmanned level crossings caused due to negligence of road vehicle users in which railway passengers are not involved.
He said elimination of all the unmanned level crossings is a gigantic task and would involve lot of manpower, resources and budgetary support.
He said Railways was making all efforts to ensure compliance of budget announcement subject to availability of funds and cooperation of state government, particularly in getting consent for closure of level crossings and undertaking to maintain road and drainage in future subways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi