4,800 starvation deaths in India in last 4 years: Naqvi
Bhopal: Blaming the UPA government for steep price rise of the essential commodities, BJP vice president Mukthar Abbas Naqvi on Sunday said 4,800 deaths have taken place in the country due to starvation in the last four years.
"The Centre is responsible for the steep price rise of essential commodities. As many as 4800 deaths in last 48 months have taken place due to starvation in the country," the
BJP leader told reporters here.
Naqvi said he had collected the figures from official government sources, and added that the unofficial figures might have touched 20,000.
The UPA government should make public the figures of deaths due to starvation in last four-five years as this is a serious issue, he said.
The BJP leader said that prices of essential commodities have skyrocketed and these things were out of reach of the commoners.
Naqvi alleged that prices of essential commodities shot up further after the last Lok Sabha elections, to benefit the Multinational Corporations (MNCs), that might have funded the Congress during last general elections.
"Now the Congress too has become an MNC with a CEO at the helm of affairs," he said adding, "it (Congress) has perfected the art of `packaging` like an MNC rather focusing on the product and it quality."
The Congress is just making hollow promises rather than delivering quality goods to the people, like the MNCs, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!