49 elephants killed on railway tracks since 2010
New Delhi: As many as 49 elephants have been killed on railway tracks since 2010 including five in January this year, the Rajya Sabha was today informed.
In a written reply, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said his ministry is holding regular meetings with the Environment Ministry to take remedial measures for controlling elephant casualties.
"Elephant corridors have been identified by the Forest Department and on such corridors speed restrictions have been imposed and signage boards provided to pre-warn the train drivers," he said.
He also said that advisories have been issued to zonal Railways to sensitise train crew and station masters on regular basis.
"In consultation with the Environment and Forest Ministry and the forest departments of state governments, Railways is also attempting to find a more lasting solution in the matter through deposit works consisting of measures such as construction of ramps and underpasses etc, the cost of which will be borne by the Forest Department," Bansal said.
The highest number of 20 elephant casualty on rail tracks took place in 2010, followed by 15 last year. Nine such incidents were reported in 2011.
Last year in December, five elephants were killed while passing through rail tracks in the East Coast Railway Zone in Odisha`s Ganjam district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray