495 Indian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates in 4yrs: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said 495
Indian sailors were held hostages by the Somali pirates in
last four years, and barring 64, all of them have been
These 64 sailors, who are still to be rescued, were crew
members of 6 ships -- MV Iceberg-I, MV Rak Afrikana, MV Suez,
MV Asphalt Venture, MV Savina Caylyn, and MV Sinin -- that
were high jacked by the pirates in last one year, the Shipping
Ministry said in a statement.
It added that all of them have been reported safe.
The statement further said that two foreign flag ships --
MV Savina Caylyn, and MV Sinin--, having 26 Indians as crew
members, were high jacked this year, in January and February
Talking about the increasing attacks by the pirates, the
statement said none of the Indian ships have got high jacked
in last four years, although seven had come under attack by
the pirates of the Somalia coast between 2007 to 2011.
It added that 200 Indian seafarers were held hostage on
board foreign flag ships during the same period.
In addition to this, the pirates managed to capture about
20 Indian MSVs (Motor support vessels) and 295 sailors on
board these MSVs in last four years, the statement said, while
adding that all of them have got released.
Shipping Minister G K Vasan, after meeting about 6-7
families of the Indian sailors taken hostage, today said that
"I share the anxiety and concerns of the family members
and we are making all efforts to ensure the safety of Indians
and also to expedite their release."
Vasan said his ministry officials are in touch with their
counterparts in the Ministry of External Affairs on the issue
but refused to elaborate the steps taken by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day