5 cases of spying by Pak agencies in 3 years: Govt
New Delhi: Five cases of spying by Pakistani intelligence agencies have been registered in last three years and a total 12 people, including eight service personnel, were arrested in this regard, government told Lok Sabha on Monday.
"A total of five cases pertaining to alleged spying activities have been registered during the last three years, which were connected with intelligence agencies of Pakistan," Defence Minister A K Antony told the Parliament.
In written reply, he said, "A total of eight service personnel, one civil defence employee and three ex-servicemen were arrested. One service personnel has been convicted and sentenced."
On steps taken to strengthen intelligence mechanism to effectively check spying activities, Antony told the House that appropriate measures have been been put in place to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Replying to a question on hacking of confidential naval information by Chinese hackers, the Defence Minister said, "There were intelligence reports in November 2011 about probable compromise of computers of Eastern Naval Command based in Visakhapatnam."
The matter has been investigated and appropriate steps have been taken to strengthen security of network, he said, adding that hacking is a constant and real threat worldwide in the cyber domain.
To a question on recruitment irregularities in defence forces, Antony said, "CBI has registered a case relating to alleged receipt of illegal gratification in the recruitment of staff of various groups `C` posts in the National Defence Academy (NDA) and the case is under investigation."
On recruitment in DRDO, he said the marks obtained by candidates in written exams will be made public from 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India