5 cases of spying by Pak agencies in 3 years: Govt
New Delhi: Five cases of spying by Pakistani intelligence agencies have been registered in last three years and a total 12 people, including eight service personnel, were arrested in this regard, government told Lok Sabha on Monday.
"A total of five cases pertaining to alleged spying activities have been registered during the last three years, which were connected with intelligence agencies of Pakistan," Defence Minister A K Antony told the Parliament.
In written reply, he said, "A total of eight service personnel, one civil defence employee and three ex-servicemen were arrested. One service personnel has been convicted and sentenced."
On steps taken to strengthen intelligence mechanism to effectively check spying activities, Antony told the House that appropriate measures have been been put in place to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Replying to a question on hacking of confidential naval information by Chinese hackers, the Defence Minister said, "There were intelligence reports in November 2011 about probable compromise of computers of Eastern Naval Command based in Visakhapatnam."
The matter has been investigated and appropriate steps have been taken to strengthen security of network, he said, adding that hacking is a constant and real threat worldwide in the cyber domain.
To a question on recruitment irregularities in defence forces, Antony said, "CBI has registered a case relating to alleged receipt of illegal gratification in the recruitment of staff of various groups `C` posts in the National Defence Academy (NDA) and the case is under investigation."
On recruitment in DRDO, he said the marks obtained by candidates in written exams will be made public from 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25