5 S Lankan fishermen held for crossing IMBL
Puducherry: Five Sri Lankan fishermen have been arrested by the Coast Guard here for reportedly crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line, but taken to Chennai after protests by a pro Tamil outfit against them being brought to the union territory.
They were held about 40 miles off the Puducherry coast yesterday, police said.
They said the Coast Guard noticed the fishermen`s vessel with about 300 kg of fish stuck in an estuary and informed them after which steps were taken to bring them to the fishing harbour. However the local unit of Naam Tamizhar party objected to it.
With the protests continuing this morning too, the five fishermen were taken to Chennai, they said. Police said the area where the fishermen were found does
not fall within the jurisdiction of the union territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Sensex cracks below 26,000-mark, tanks 461 points
- Ranbir Kapoor's superhero dreams shattered?
- Make PM Narendra Modi's educational qualification public; people want to know truth: Arvind Kejriwal
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world