5 S Lankan fishermen held for crossing IMBL
Puducherry: Five Sri Lankan fishermen have been arrested by the Coast Guard here for reportedly crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line, but taken to Chennai after protests by a pro Tamil outfit against them being brought to the union territory.
They were held about 40 miles off the Puducherry coast yesterday, police said.
They said the Coast Guard noticed the fishermen`s vessel with about 300 kg of fish stuck in an estuary and informed them after which steps were taken to bring them to the fishing harbour. However the local unit of Naam Tamizhar party objected to it.
With the protests continuing this morning too, the five fishermen were taken to Chennai, they said. Police said the area where the fishermen were found does
not fall within the jurisdiction of the union territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers