50 in Delhi Police caught taking bribes this year
New Delhi: Around 50 Delhi Police personnel have been caught taking bribes this year, while over 1,800 faced action for dereliction of duty, according to official statistics.
Of the around 50 caught for taking bribes, 25 of them were Constables and nine were Head Constables indicating that bribe taking was more prevalent in the lower ranks.
Six Sub Inspectors and seven Assistant Sub Inspectors were also caught taking bribe from people to favor them, a senior police official said.
"From April this year, we have reported 24 cases in, which 47 personnel were caught. In one case, an Inspector and his staff were found involved," the official said.
He said, Assistant Commissioners and Station House Officers were asked to hold regular briefings with lower ranks and surprise checks are also being conducted.
The Public Grievances Commission dealing with cases relating to Delhi Police has received 293 complaints from April this year. In 2010-11, the figure was 896, while it was 419 in 2009-10 and 995 in 2008-09, the official said.
According to statistics, a total of 1,849 policemen, including 147 Inspectors, faced action for dereliction of duty till June 30 this year.
The first six month`s figure has already surpassed the figures of 2008 and 2009, when action was taken against 987 and 1,813 police personnel respectively.
The complaints regarding involvement of policemen in illegal constructions in Delhi has also shown a similar trend with statistics revealing that 121 cases have come to light this year till June 30 as against a total of 140 last year.
While action has been taken against 40 police personnel this year, 104 faced punishment last year. In 2008, 26 cases were reported in, which 14 personnel faced action, while 75 complaints were received in 2009 and 81 personnel punished.
A constable was also found in possession of illegal arms and ammunition this year. Last year, two similar cases were reported, while in 2009, one case was reported.
Out of the 1,849 personnel, who faced action on charges of dereliction of duty this year, the largest chunk came from Constabulary. While 671 constables were punished, the number for Head Constables was 512 as against 717 and 475 last year respectively.
For Sub Inspectors, the number was 197 and Assistant Sub Inspectors it was 322. Last year, 213 Sub Inspectors and 309 Assistant Sub Inspectors faced action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’