50% marks must in qualifying exam for MBBS: HC
Kochi: Kerala High court Thursday upheld the
Medical Council of India (MCI) regulation fixing minimum 50
per cent marks in qualifying and competitive examinations to
secure admission for MBBS course.
The order in this regard was issued by a division bench
comprising Justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan and Justice P
Bhavadasan while dismissing 11 petitions filed by over 80
students seeking continuance of studies.
Earlier, the Medical Council of India (MCI) directed the
students to discontinue the studies on the ground that they do
not satisfy its eligibility and selection conditions.
The bench said the candidates must have passed in Physics,
Chemistry, Biology and English and must have obtained minimum
marks of 50 per cent in Physics, Chemistry and Biology and in
addition they should come in the merit list of entrance
None of the petitioners have secured 50 per cent in the
The bench found that the admission of these students are
in `clear violation` of MCI regulations. The norms are
mandatory and such mandatory nature stands recognised by
Consistency in the matter of applications of regulations to
higher education including medical education is a matter that
is salutary, the bench pointed out. Any dilution to that will
adversely affect the fundamental needs of society for quality
in health sector and will undermine the purpose of such
regulations, the bench pointed out.
George Paul of the Interchurch Medical Council said the
judgement will affect 88 students -- 52 in Christian
management run institutions and 36 in colleges run by Muslim
Education Society (MES).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi