50 million Indians have passports
New Delhi: There are 50 million passport
holders in the country and the Ministry of External Affairs
expect the number to reach up to 100 million in next 10
With simplified process and increasing number of passport
offices and Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs), the number of those
holding passports, which was at meager 40,000 40 years back,
has increased manifold, officials said here today.
During January to December 2011, the 37 Passport Offices,
Headquarters and the Office of the Chief Secretary of Andaman
and Nicobar Islands, issued 58.69 lakh passports(inclusive of
2840 Diplomatic passports and 28,067 official passports) and
rendered 4.68 lakh passports related miscellaneous services,
The 178 Indian Missions/Posts issued 10.27 lakh passports
in the same time period, they said, adding, thus, the
Ministry, in total, rendered 73.65 lakh passport services.
The number of passport applications received during the
same period in Passport Offices was 60.73 lakh which is the
highest number received ever in a year.
Talking about visa-on-arrival, they said nationals from
12 countries are given the facility of visa-on-arrival and
extending it to some other countries, including Russia, was
Some of the other important steps to make the passport
issuance system simpler and speedier included decentralization
through District Passport Cells and Speed Post Centres, online
receipt of application, centralized printing of passport for
non-computerized Missions abroad, and Passport Adalats to
address grievances and the careful implementation of RTI Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply