50% of Indians with disabilities are literate: Govt
New Delhi: Nearly 50 per cent of the people with various forms of disabilities are literate in the country and are attending educational institutions, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister told the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
"As per the Census 2001, there were a total of 21.9 million persons with disabilities in the country, out of which 10.8 million - nearly 50 per cent - were reported to be literate," Minister of State for SJ&E D Napoleon said in a written reply to the House.
6.5 million persons with disabilities were in the age group of 5-19 years, with nearly 50 per cent of them at 3.3 million persons attending educational institutions, he added.
The Minister further informed the House that for the year 2011-12, a sum of Rs 410.09 lakh was sanctioned to the District Disability Rehabilitation Centres (DDRCs).
"The amount sanctioned to the DDRCs during the financial year 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12 is Rs 201.08 lakh, Rs 590.77 lakh and Rs 410.09 lakh, respectively," he said.
DDRCs are run by the government to provide comprehensive services to persons with disabilities at the grass root level and for creation of infrastructure and capacity building at the district level for awareness generation.
In reply to a question on replacing the existing law for disabled persons, Napoleon said, "A committee was set up in 2010 consisting of experts in the disability sector... The committee submitted its report including draft legislation called the Right of Persons with Disabilities Bill 2011 which is under consideration."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!