50% of Indians with disabilities are literate: Govt
New Delhi: Nearly 50 per cent of the people with various forms of disabilities are literate in the country and are attending educational institutions, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister told the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
"As per the Census 2001, there were a total of 21.9 million persons with disabilities in the country, out of which 10.8 million - nearly 50 per cent - were reported to be literate," Minister of State for SJ&E D Napoleon said in a written reply to the House.
6.5 million persons with disabilities were in the age group of 5-19 years, with nearly 50 per cent of them at 3.3 million persons attending educational institutions, he added.
The Minister further informed the House that for the year 2011-12, a sum of Rs 410.09 lakh was sanctioned to the District Disability Rehabilitation Centres (DDRCs).
"The amount sanctioned to the DDRCs during the financial year 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12 is Rs 201.08 lakh, Rs 590.77 lakh and Rs 410.09 lakh, respectively," he said.
DDRCs are run by the government to provide comprehensive services to persons with disabilities at the grass root level and for creation of infrastructure and capacity building at the district level for awareness generation.
In reply to a question on replacing the existing law for disabled persons, Napoleon said, "A committee was set up in 2010 consisting of experts in the disability sector... The committee submitted its report including draft legislation called the Right of Persons with Disabilities Bill 2011 which is under consideration."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery