50 yrs on, Rajendra Prasad`s bank a/c kept alive
Patna: Nearly 50 years after his death, India`s first President Dr Rajendra Prasad`s saving account has been kept alive by a public sector bank here in a unique remembrance--and the balance is Rs 1,813.
The amount of Rs 1,813 is lying unclaimed in the account of Dr Prasad in the Punjab National Bank`s Exhibition Road branch, according to a bank official today.
The account may have become inoperative in the past 50 years after the death of Dr Prasad but the bank continues to credit half-yearly interest as usual. Dr Praad passed away four months after the account was opened on October 24, 1962.
Dr Prasad had opened his saving account with an amount of Rs 500 and since then the ledger balance has increased to Rs 1,813 as the bank has routinely credited half-yearly interest even though the account is non-operational, the Bank`s Exhibition Road Branch Manager S L Gupta said.
"We are very proud to operate the saving bank account of as important dignitary as the first President of the country," he said.
adding that his account number 0380000100030687, his photograph and signature have been displayed prominently at at the branch premises to woo prospective customers.
"A customer with the stature of the first president, has certainly helped us to add more customers and in turn boost our business in Bihar and rest of the country, Gupta said.
Prasad`s account is perhaps the only bank account in the country which is not only open and functional but also seen interest income being added to it.
Usually after the death of a bank account holder, the money in there is passed on to the legal heirs on completion of certain formalities. Prasad said no one has come to stake claim for the money till date.
A veteran freedom fighter and a native of Bihar, Prasad had served as the country`s first President for two terms between 1952 and 1962. He was born on December 3, 1884 in Zeradei in Siwan district and died on February 28, 1963 in Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE:CM Fadnavis thanks people of Maharashtra for 'huge' victory as BJP clinches 81 seats; Shiv Sena 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway