500 Naxal attacks in past three months: Govt
New Delhi: At least 500 Naxal attacks have
been reported in nine states across the country in the last
three months, with the highest number reported from
Chhattisgarh, government said today.
A highest of 140 instances were reported in Chhattisgarh,
111 in Jharkhand, 88 in West Bengal, 78 in Bihar and 43 in
Orissa, according to data given in a written reply to the
Rajya Sabha by Minister of State for Home Affairs Ajay Maken.
Twenty incidents including attacks on police and
civilians by the Maoists were reported in Maharashtra,
followed by 17 in Andhra Pradesh, two in Madhya Pradesh and
one in Uttar Pradesh, it said.
According to the data, 348 people, including security
force personnel were killed in such attacks. A highest of 194
casualties were reported in Chhattisgarh, followed by 66 in
West Bengal and 23 in Orissa.
In reply to another question, Maken said a total of 378
Naxalites were arrested in the last two months.
"The CPI (Maoist) and other Left Wing Extremist groups
source their weapons primarily by looting the same from
security forces. In areas of Maoists influence, they also loot
weapons from arms license holders. They also manufacture
country made weapons in their arms manufacturing units," he
"Central Government grants, under security related
expenditure scheme, ex-gratia payment of Rs three lakh to
family of security personnel killed due to Naxal attacks. In
addition, ex-gratia compensation of Rs 15 lakh is paid to the
next of kin of personnel of Central para-military forces
killed in action," Maken added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand