5,000-km range Agni-5 to be test fired in Feb
New Delhi: Buoyed by the successful test-
firing of the Agni-4, DRDO will launch the 5,000-km version of
the nuclear capable missile after three months as part of
strengthening India`s deterrence capabilities.
"Agni-V is presently undergoing integration and we may
test fire it by the end of February next year. It is right on
schedule and the successful test of Agni-4 will prove to be a
building block in development of this missile," DRDO Chief V K
Saraswat said here on Wednesday.
Addressing a press conference here, Saraswat talked about
India`s missiles programme and developing effective deterrence
capability against adversaries.
Yesterday, DRDO had successful test fired nuclear capable
Agni-4 missile from a test range in Wheeler Island off Odisha
"Agni-4 belongs to DRDO`s flagship programme to make the
country self-reliant in missile technology. We have now
graduated to a higher level of missile technology with more
capable versions of the earlier missiles such as Agni-1 and
Agni-2," he said.
Talking about Agni-4`s capabilities, he said, "Earlier
missiles were based on rail mobile launchers which needed an
exhaustive infrastructure support. But Agni-4 is based on road
mobile launchers. It gives a much higher level of flexibility
and is a maintenance free system. It is better in terms of
accuracy and performance as well."
This missile is better than previous ones in various
parameters such as terminal accuracy, payload delivery
capability and also in terms of maintenance and flexible
operational deployment, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug