5,000-km range Agni-5 to be test fired in Feb
New Delhi: Buoyed by the successful test-
firing of the Agni-4, DRDO will launch the 5,000-km version of
the nuclear capable missile after three months as part of
strengthening India`s deterrence capabilities.
"Agni-V is presently undergoing integration and we may
test fire it by the end of February next year. It is right on
schedule and the successful test of Agni-4 will prove to be a
building block in development of this missile," DRDO Chief V K
Saraswat said here on Wednesday.
Addressing a press conference here, Saraswat talked about
India`s missiles programme and developing effective deterrence
capability against adversaries.
Yesterday, DRDO had successful test fired nuclear capable
Agni-4 missile from a test range in Wheeler Island off Odisha
"Agni-4 belongs to DRDO`s flagship programme to make the
country self-reliant in missile technology. We have now
graduated to a higher level of missile technology with more
capable versions of the earlier missiles such as Agni-1 and
Agni-2," he said.
Talking about Agni-4`s capabilities, he said, "Earlier
missiles were based on rail mobile launchers which needed an
exhaustive infrastructure support. But Agni-4 is based on road
mobile launchers. It gives a much higher level of flexibility
and is a maintenance free system. It is better in terms of
accuracy and performance as well."
This missile is better than previous ones in various
parameters such as terminal accuracy, payload delivery
capability and also in terms of maintenance and flexible
operational deployment, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender