5,000 Nitaqat-hit Indians get new jobs in Saudi
Dubai: Nearly 5,000 Indians in Saudi Arabia have found new jobs after the Indian Consulate in Jeddah took up proactive measures to help the expatriates affected by the Gulf Kingdom`s new labour law.
Consul General Faiz Ahmed Kidwai said yesterday that since the announcement of the three-month grace period which ends on July 3, the consulate had vigorously taken up a drive to help eligible Indians find employment, Arab News reported today.
The Consul General said everyday hundreds of candidates were being interviewed by potential employers in the consulate premises and hoped to far exceed the 5,000-mark by the end of the grace period.
The candidates ranging from labour to engineers, who had been declared "absconders" by their sponsors or those who fall under the red Nitaqat zone, are able to find suitable jobs, he said.
Indian expatriates were badly hit by the new Nitaqat law that makes it mandatory for local firms to hire one Saudi national for every 10 migrant workers.
There has been widespread perception that the new policy will lead to denial of job opportunities for a large number of Indians.
Over two million Indians are currently working in Saudi Arabia. The Saudi government was implementing the Nitaqat law to cut unemployment in the country.
Meanwhile, the Indian Embassy in Riyadh said 200 companies have approached it to recruit Indian workers. A significant number of Indian workers have already availed these offers and are in the process of changing their company/job, it said in a statement.
The Embassy continues to receive requests from several major Indian and Saudi companies offering jobs to Indian workers who are eligible to avail the "concessions" announced by the Saudi authorities to correct their legal status during the grace period, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert