5,000 Pinaka rockets to be produced every year
Nagpur: The Ordnance Factory Ambajhari
(OFAJ) near here is all set to enhance its manufacturing
capacity of Pinaka rockets from the present 1,000 rockets to
5,000 every year for the Indian Army, sources said.
"Pinaka rocket is one of the major projects (of the
OFAJ). The multiple rocket launcher has successfully been
indigenised and production of Pinaka rocket is in association
with the Defence Research and Development Organisation
(DRDO)," official sources said.
"Pinaka rocket is operable at extreme conditions of
temperature ranging from -10 degree centigrade to 55 degree
centigrade. These rockets, with a payload of 100 kgs, have a
striking range of 40 kms and can bring devastation around 500
kms of surrounding areas of the target. It has already been
tested and inducted into the arsenal of the Indian Army. It is
a mammoth project of the Ambajhari Ordnance Factory," they
Very soon, construction work would commence for the
extension project of Pinaka. Each Pinaka battery consists of
six launcher vehicles, each with 12 rockets, six loader-cum
replenishment vehicles, two command post vehicles with a fire
control computer and radar.
According to sources, AN-32 Platform system is another
important milestone in the history of OFAJ and the first batch
of OFAJ`s indigenously produced AN-32 Platform was handed over
to the Indian Army in July last year.
AN-32 Platform system is an Aerial Delivery System to
para drop vehicles from height of 500 to 700 metres, with the
help of parachutes. The platforms loaded with vehicle are
carried on hydraulic trolley to airbase and the same is put
inside an AN-32 aircraft with the help of a hydraulic trolley
and manual push, sources said.
The platforms, along with parachutes, are dropped from
aircraft at the desired locations. The platform loaded with
vehicles gets stabilised and lands on ground with the help of
The AN-32 Platform heavy drop system was designed and
developed by Aerial Delivery Research and Development
Establishment (ADRDE). It is a substitute to Russian AN-32
Platform system. OFAJ has indigenously developed this item in
collaboration with ADRDE Agra.
Another vital project of the OFAJ is 105 mm shells
HEER, which has a projectile mass of 16 kgs and is of 593 m
length. HEER has a range of 20.4 Km with super charge, they
The OFAJ, established in 1966, is a premier factory in
the family of 41 ordnance factories. It is engaged in
manufacturing and supply of ammunition hardware parts, shells,
fuses, rockets, cartridge cases, assault bridges and high
strength aluminium alloys, they said.
The 41 defence production units and factories under
the Defence Ministry are engaged in the production of weapon
systems, armoured personnel carrier, tanks and ammunitions and
equipments required by the Indian Armed Forces and Para
Military Forces in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt