50,000 Indians deported from Saudi
Dubai: Around 50,000 Indian expatriates
mainly unskilled labourers, were deported from Saudi Arabia
until mid-September following an amnesty announced by the
Saudi government, an Indian diplomat has said.
The figures include workers without valid residency
papers or work permits as well as Haj or Umrah overstayers,
who were all issued emergency travel documents by the Indian
missions in Riyadh and Jeddah during the amnesty period.
"This is a record repatriation exercise carried out by
the Indian diplomatic missions in cooperation with Saudi
government agencies," TC Barupal, first secretary at the
Indian Embassy who looks after community welfare issues, was
quoted by Arab News as saying.
Barupal said plans were under way to set up an Indian
Workers Resource Center for providing information and a
counselling service to members of the Indian community.
The centre will also have IT facilities, a facility for
web-based attestation, capability to track down all complaints
registered and to extend all possible assistance to workers.
Indian government has initiated this pilot project, which
is a free, walk-in resource centre providing Indian workers,
especially semi-skilled and unskilled labourers, direct access
to welfare services.
Barupal said India and Saudi Arabia had forged closer
ties in all sectors. Two-way trade exceeded USD 21 billion in
2010-11, a sevenfold increase over the last five years, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof