54 child labourers rescued in Delhi; 145 in over a week
New Delhi: Fifty-four child labourers were
rescued by authorities from button-making units in south Delhi
today and 10 of their employers taken into custody.
This is the fourth such operation in the national capital
in the last eight days in which a total of 145 children have
been rescued from various parts of the capital.
The Delhi Task Force on Elimination of Child Labour,
police and Labour Department officials conducted today`s raid
in Govindpuri area following a complaint filed by child rights
NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA).
Fifty-four children were rescued from button-making units
in the area, BBA said in a press statement. The children, all
in the age group of 7-14 years, have mostly been trafficked
All the units were illegally running in the residential
area. The owners had employed adults on the first and second
floor and in almost all the units, children were locked on the
top floor and made to work from 10 AM to 1 AM in the night,
BBA officials said.
In one of the units, 11 children ate, slept and worked in
a 20x10 room that was ill-ventilated, they said.
Seven-year-old Raju (name changed), said, "my uncle
brought me here from Bihar six months back. My parents were
told that I would be paid. It`s been six months that I have
been working here but I have not been given a single penny.
They tell me this is the training period so I would only get
my lunch. I used to make 4,000-5,000 buttons in a day."
Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Kalkaji, V P Singh said, "10
employers have been arrested in the raid. We would see to it
that they are booked under stringent penal provisions and
ensure compensation and rehabilitation of the victims."
On April 28, 72 child labourers were rescued from bag
manufacturing units in Nabi Kareem area of central Delhi and
eight of their employers taken into custody.
On May 3, 16 child labourers were rescued from a bakery
unit in Rohini while three children were rescued by
authorities from an electric sockets manufacturing unit in
west Delhi on May 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city