56 American-Indian semi-finalists in Intel contest
Houston: Fifty-six high school students
of Indian-American community were named amongst the 300
semi-finalists in the Intel Science Talent Search which is
considered as America`s most prestigious pre-college science
California has the highest number of the semi-finalists, 41 out of which seven are Indian Americans,
followed by New York 11, Maryland seven, Texas six and the
rest of the Indian Americans are from various other states.
This year`s semi-finalists were selected from 1,744
entrants representing 172 schools and are competing for USD
1.25 million in awards.
Each of them receives a USD 1,000 grant. The schools
also get USD 1,000 for each semi-finalist named.
Colleges and universities regard the Intel STS
Semi-finalist award to be evidence of exceptional academic
promise. Each semi-finalist is provided with a certificate of
accomplishment, which may be sent with their applications for
college admission and scholarships.
From amongst the 300 semi-finalists, 40 finalists will
be announced on January 26.
The finalists will attend the Intel Science Talent
Institute in Washington DC in March and participate in a final
judging process to share USD 630,000 in awards.
STS Alumni have made extraordinary contributions in
the field of science and hold more than 100 of the world’s
most coveted science and maths honours, including seven Nobel
prizes and four National Medals of Science.
- Arvind Kejriwal questions PM Narendra Modi's qualification, report claims he scored 62.3% in MA
- WATCH: When Virat Kohli applauded David Warner's 'helicopter' shot during SRH-RCB match
- Uttarakhand forest fire: WATCH - How IAF's Mi-17 lifts water from Bhimtal lake to spray it over affected areas
- Priyanka Chopra attends White House Correspondents' dinner, gets clicked with President Obama
- AgustaWestland scam: Manohar Parrikar to place all details about deal before Parliament on May 4