566 policemen killed in operations or attacks in one year
New Delhi: Over 550 police and para-military personnel lost their lives in the past one year during operations or attacks on them with Uttar Pradesh Police taking the maximum number of casualties.
A total of 566 personnel from state police and para-military forces like BSF, CRPF and NSG were killed during the period between September 1, 2011 and August 31, this year, according to official figures.
Uttar Pradesh Police topped the list of casualities with 133 followed by BSF (85), CRPF (57) and Jharkhand Police (43).
Punjab Police lost 29 personnel during the period while police forces in West Bengal suffered 28 and Chhattisgarh 24 casualties followed by Delhi (19), Odisha (18) and Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh (10 each).
The casualty figures for other state police forces were --Manipur (9), Meghalaya (8), Karnataka (5), Uttarakhand (5), Maharashtra (4), Nagaland (4), Assam (3), Himachal Pradesh (3), Tamil Nadu (3), Gujarat (1), Kerala (1), Rajasthan (1) and Tripura (1).
Nineteen RPF personnel also died during operations while the casualty figures for SSB was five and SPG and ITBP two each.
The Commemoration Day was observed today by various police organisations in the national capital. Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar took the salute on the occasion.
UPSC member K K Paul, IB Director N S Sandhu, V Rajagopal, Special Director?(IB), and retired?Commissioners? of?Delhi Police Subash?Tandon,?Raja?Vijay?Karan,?M B?Kaushal,?Ajai?Raj?Sharma, R S Gupta?and senior officers paid?homage?by?laying?wreath?at?the?memorial.??
During September 1, 2010 and August 31, 2011, 634 police and para-military personnel were killed during operations or attacks on them with CRPF topping the list of casualities with 113 followed by Uttar Pradesh Police (112) and and BSF (72).
In the previous year between September 1, 2009 and August 31, 2010, 797 police and para-military personnel lost their lives with CRPF topping the list with 191 deaths. Similarly, during 2008 September and August 2009, the police forces lost 841 lives with UP taking the maximum number of casualties with 107 followed by CRPF (81) and BSF (72).
The?Commemoration?Day?is observed every year on?October 21 in the memory of CRPF personnel, who were ambushed and killed by Chinese forces in Ladakh region on that day in 1959.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened