566 policemen killed in operations or attacks in one year
New Delhi: Over 550 police and para-military personnel lost their lives in the past one year during operations or attacks on them with Uttar Pradesh Police taking the maximum number of casualties.
A total of 566 personnel from state police and para-military forces like BSF, CRPF and NSG were killed during the period between September 1, 2011 and August 31, this year, according to official figures.
Uttar Pradesh Police topped the list of casualities with 133 followed by BSF (85), CRPF (57) and Jharkhand Police (43).
Punjab Police lost 29 personnel during the period while police forces in West Bengal suffered 28 and Chhattisgarh 24 casualties followed by Delhi (19), Odisha (18) and Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh (10 each).
The casualty figures for other state police forces were --Manipur (9), Meghalaya (8), Karnataka (5), Uttarakhand (5), Maharashtra (4), Nagaland (4), Assam (3), Himachal Pradesh (3), Tamil Nadu (3), Gujarat (1), Kerala (1), Rajasthan (1) and Tripura (1).
Nineteen RPF personnel also died during operations while the casualty figures for SSB was five and SPG and ITBP two each.
The Commemoration Day was observed today by various police organisations in the national capital. Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar took the salute on the occasion.
UPSC member K K Paul, IB Director N S Sandhu, V Rajagopal, Special Director?(IB), and retired?Commissioners? of?Delhi Police Subash?Tandon,?Raja?Vijay?Karan,?M B?Kaushal,?Ajai?Raj?Sharma, R S Gupta?and senior officers paid?homage?by?laying?wreath?at?the?memorial.??
During September 1, 2010 and August 31, 2011, 634 police and para-military personnel were killed during operations or attacks on them with CRPF topping the list of casualities with 113 followed by Uttar Pradesh Police (112) and and BSF (72).
In the previous year between September 1, 2009 and August 31, 2010, 797 police and para-military personnel lost their lives with CRPF topping the list with 191 deaths. Similarly, during 2008 September and August 2009, the police forces lost 841 lives with UP taking the maximum number of casualties with 107 followed by CRPF (81) and BSF (72).
The?Commemoration?Day?is observed every year on?October 21 in the memory of CRPF personnel, who were ambushed and killed by Chinese forces in Ladakh region on that day in 1959.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists