57 killed as thunderstorms lash northern India
New Delhi: Dust storm and heavy rains claimed
34 more lives in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, taking the death
toll in the two states to 57 Saturday.
The high velocity wind and heavy downpour since Friday
uprooted hoardings, trees, electric and telephone poles
disrupting communication links, traffic flow, power supply and
rail services in several parts of the states.
The squall claimed 21 lives in UP, taking the toll to 35
from yesterday`s 14 in the state.
As many as 13 people died due to incessant rains in
Bihar, taking the toll to 22 from nine yesterday.
Meanwhile, barring Rajasthan, the maximum temperature in
most parts of northern India stayed below normal, a day after
dust storm accompanied by downpour lashed the region.
While, Ambala in Haryana recorded a maximum temperature
of 36.1 deg C, down two notches, Chandigarh recorded 34.6 deg
C, three degree below normal.
The maximum at Amritsar settled at 35.1 deg C (down three
degrees), while it was 37.8 deg C (one deg below normal) in
The desert state of Rajasthan continued to reel under
intense heat with most parts of the state burning at above 40
Barmer was the hottest with a maximum temperature of 43
degree Celsius followed by Kota at 42.8 deg C.
Elsewhere, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur and Dabok recorded a
maximum temperature of 41.7, 41.4 and 40.6 deg C respectively.
Isolated places in Jaipur and Bikaner division received
very light rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- Who are you? Watch dog's reaction seeing himself on mirror – Very Funny
- Mother Teresa's canonisation portends more conversions: VHP