57 killed as thunderstorms lash northern India
New Delhi: Dust storm and heavy rains claimed
34 more lives in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, taking the death
toll in the two states to 57 Saturday.
The high velocity wind and heavy downpour since Friday
uprooted hoardings, trees, electric and telephone poles
disrupting communication links, traffic flow, power supply and
rail services in several parts of the states.
The squall claimed 21 lives in UP, taking the toll to 35
from yesterday`s 14 in the state.
As many as 13 people died due to incessant rains in
Bihar, taking the toll to 22 from nine yesterday.
Meanwhile, barring Rajasthan, the maximum temperature in
most parts of northern India stayed below normal, a day after
dust storm accompanied by downpour lashed the region.
While, Ambala in Haryana recorded a maximum temperature
of 36.1 deg C, down two notches, Chandigarh recorded 34.6 deg
C, three degree below normal.
The maximum at Amritsar settled at 35.1 deg C (down three
degrees), while it was 37.8 deg C (one deg below normal) in
The desert state of Rajasthan continued to reel under
intense heat with most parts of the state burning at above 40
Barmer was the hottest with a maximum temperature of 43
degree Celsius followed by Kota at 42.8 deg C.
Elsewhere, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur and Dabok recorded a
maximum temperature of 41.7, 41.4 and 40.6 deg C respectively.
Isolated places in Jaipur and Bikaner division received
very light rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state