5.8 magnitude quake hits Nicobar Islands
New Delhi: A moderate earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale jolted India`s Nicobar Islands early Thursday.
The quake hit the islands at 1.12 am, Xinhua quoted the US Geological Survey (USGS) as saying.
The temblor`s epicentre, with a depth of 1.00 km, was initially determined to be at 7.8365 degrees north latitude and 94.0158 degrees east longitude.
Situated in the south-east of the Bay of Bengal, the Nicobar Islands comprises 22 large and small islands, of which only 12 have inhabitants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!