6 Maoists killed in battle with security forces
Bhubaneswar: At least six Maoists are
anticipated to have been killed in a gun battle with security
forces in Orissa`s Koraput district today, police said.
Senior police officers engaged in the anti-Maoist
operation at Podapadar area in Narayanpatna said, "On the
basis of indications from the encounter site, we anticipate at
least six Maoists have died."
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik also told reporters here,
"The police believe that some Maoists have been killed and
injured during the encounter with security forces."
"The exchange of fire which began last night between the
rebels and a joint team of Orissa police, Greyhound and BSF in
Podapadar forest, about 100 km from here, ended this morning
after Maoists fled," SP Koraput Anup Kumar Sahoo said.
There are blood stains and signs of a couple of bodies
having been dragged from the site by the ultras while fleeing,
Stating that Maoists generally do not leave behind
bodies of their cadre in encounter sites, a senior police
officer said securitymen who took part in the operation
appeared to have seen rebels carrying away a couple of injured
ultras or bodies while fleeing the site.
While a chopper was pressed into service to conduct
aerial search and scanning after the encounter, massive
combing operation was conducted in the entire area, police
DG (Intelligence) Prakash Mishra said besides kit
bags, some explosives, landmines, Maoist literature and other
articles, apparently left behind by the red rebels, were found
from the area during search.
The police said blood stains and dragging marks could
be seen along the route in which the Maoists retreated after
the exchange of fire.
The encounter took place after security personnel
spotted some armed ultras near a hilly area as the rebels
opened fire seeing the police who promptly retaliated, police
sources said adding the number of ultras engaged in the
encounter was yet to be ascertained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says