60 cr Indians to get UID in 4-5 yrs: Nilekani
Mumbai: At least 60 crore people would get
their Unique Identification Numbers (UIDs), a much-touted
initiative of the Government, in the next 4-5 years, its
project chief Nandan Nilekani said on Wednesday.
"We expect to give UIDs to at least 600 million (60
crore) citizens in the next 4-5-years. It is a challenging
job and we are managing multiple risks," Nilekani, Chairman of
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), said.
UIDAI is an agency set up by the Centre to undertake
the UID project.
Nilekani said the initiative would help in providing a
transparent, effective and transformational governance.
The authority would issue the first UID in the next
12-18-months, he said at a FICCI-IBA Banking summit here.
Nilekani said banks would be a key partner in the
project and UIDAI would publish standards and protocols for
the project in the next six months.
"Banks are a key partner in the project. They can be
registrars as well as users of the authentication service,"
Under the project, UIDAI will be issuing numbers to
each and every citizen of the country but not cards, he said,
adding that the issuance of the number will be demand-led.
He also said there is an immense potential to merge
the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) programme
with the UID initiative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre