60% more spent on remembering Kasturba than Mahatma
New Delhi: Nearly Rs 83 lakh was spent in commemorating the death anniversary of Kasturba Gandhi during the last two years, which was 60 percent more than the combined expenditure incurred on the death and birth anniversary events of Mahatma Gandhi during that period.
An RTI response has revealed that the Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti, which works under Culture Ministry, had spent Rs 2.46 lakh for publicity and printing of invitation cards for observing Kasturba Gandhi`s death anniversary `Nirwan Diwas` on February 22 last year while this year`s expenditure was Rs 2.68 lakh.
The Samiti had also incurred an additional expenditure of Rs 30.44 lakh in 2011 and Rs 47.17 lakh this year in observing her death anniversary.
The details given by the Samiti to activist Subhash Agrawal under RTI show that the expenditure incurred on Nirwan Diwas of Kasturba, wife of Mahatma Gandhi, was 60 percent more than the combined expenditure incurred on the birth and death anniversary of the Father of the Nation which was Rs 51.86 lakh.
The details show that the Samiti spent Rs 4.62 lakh on printing of invitation cards and publicity to commemorate birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on October 2 which is also famous as International day of non-violence in 2011 while this year the figure was Rs 2.48 lakh.
Additional expenditure of Rs 8.73 lakh and Rs 7.41 lakh was also incurred on the occasion in 2011 and 2012 respectively.
Similarly, Rs 13.5 lakh was spent in observing the Mahatma`s death anniversary on January 30, 2011 while Rs 15 lakh was spent in 2012. These figures include publicity, invitation cards and other expenses incurred by the Samiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony