600 BSF jawans arrive in Orissa for anti-Maoist operation
Bhubaneswar: One battalion BSF personnel
arrived in Orissa`s Koraput district on Thursday ahead of the
special joint operation against Maoists to be launched soon,
official sources said.
Though the state government is yet to decide the date
of launching the operation, a senior police official said it
could begin next month after arrival of five battalions of
central para-military forces required for the job.
Stating that CPMF jawans would undergo familiarisation
training before the proposed special operation, he said "one
BSF battalion (600 personnel) has been sent to Koraput and two
more are likely to reach the naxal-hit district by tomorrow".
"The BSF jawans have come for regular anti-Maoist
operation. I cannot say anything regarding special operation
now," Koraput SP Arun Kumar Sahu said over phone.
The force could now be deployed in the district`s
border areas with Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh in order to
prevent influx of Maoists into Orissa.
The state government had demanded at least eight
battalions of central para-military force in addition to five
battalions already deployed for anti-Maoist operation, they
On special operation, a senior home department
official said: "Everything depends on availability of CPMF. Our
requirement is at least seven more battalions of CPMF."
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik during his meetings with
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had told the Centre that
the state had no objection in launching of anti-Maoist special
operation in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh