600 mn to get Aadhaar no. in 4 yrs: Nilekani
Bhubaneswar: Around 600 million Indians will
get the much-cherished Unique Identification Number (UIN) in
the next 4 years, helping implementation of various social
"About 40,000 to 45,000 people have been enrolled by
September 29, 2010. Many more will get the facility in one
year and about 600 million in the next four years," Unique
Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) chairman Nandan
Nilekani said here today.
UID, also known as Aadhaar number, will be helpful in
opening a bank account, passport and ration card and many
other things, he added.
"The Aadhaar number will be of much help to the people
migrating from one place to another," he said.
Stating that out of the 1.8 billion people, about 120
million migrate in search of jobs and other activities,
Nilekani said migration affected about 480 million people in
The UID number, therefore, will help people in getting
essential services like PDS, bank account, LPG connection and
other jobs in new places, he said.
Terming the exercise as the biggest event in the world,
Nilekani said that bi-metric system would prevent duplication.
"We have de-duplication exercise which will include or
exclude people from the list of people in the UIN list," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days