600 to 800 militants operating in J&K: Lt Gen Bhardwaj
Udhampur (J&K): Asserting that militancy
is declining in Jammu and Kashmir, the Army on Wednesday said that
nearly 600 to 800 militants are presently operating in the
The overall situation is good in the entire state with
low level and sporadic incidents of violence, the General
Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern Command, Lieutenant
General PC Bhardwaj today told reporters at an informal chat
at Northern Command Headquarters here.
"It was not possible to assess the exact number of
militants operating in the state, but overall assessment from
all agencies put their number to be around 600 to 800. Among
them, the number of foreign mercenaries could be less."
The restoration of democratic and political activities
and peaceful Amarnath yatra are indications that overall
situation in Jammu and Kashmir is very good, he said and
admitted that infiltration has however increased this year.
On role of army in restoration of peace in the state,
Bhardwaj said, "We are instruments of peace and will ensure
that complete peace is restored in the state."
Asked about any threat of Pakistan acquiring drone
missile technology, he said that there is no such threat on
this score and added, "Our country has also advanced and
improved technology in making weapons."
Drone missiles, however, have proved effective in dealing
with terrorists in parts of Pakistan, Bhardwaj said.
About situation along Line of Actual Control with China,
the army commander said that the situation along borders with
China was quite peaceful.
57 ultras killed from Jan to Aug: Army
As many as 57 terrorists
were killed during infiltration bids across the borders in
Jammu and Kashmir from January to August this year, a senior
army officer today said.
Briefing reporters at the Northern Command headquarters
here, Brigadier G Murali, BGS of Information Wing said that
Indian army had foiled 26 infiltration bids along the borders
in the state killing 57 terrorists this year.
However, infiltration has been continuing and has gone up
especially in the month of March this year, he said.
"There have been nearly 72 successful infiltration bids
between January and August this year. Of these 69 have taken
place in Kashmir valley and remaining three in Jammu region,"
said Brigadier Murali.
The number of terrorists that might have crossed to this
side during these infiltrations cannot be exactly assessed, he
The Brigadier said that the army had adopted a high level
of operational strategy both on borders and hinterland to
counter proxy war and it was yielding good results with
significant signs of normalcy in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow