600 to 800 militants operating in J&K: Lt Gen Bhardwaj
Udhampur (J&K): Asserting that militancy
is declining in Jammu and Kashmir, the Army on Wednesday said that
nearly 600 to 800 militants are presently operating in the
The overall situation is good in the entire state with
low level and sporadic incidents of violence, the General
Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern Command, Lieutenant
General PC Bhardwaj today told reporters at an informal chat
at Northern Command Headquarters here.
"It was not possible to assess the exact number of
militants operating in the state, but overall assessment from
all agencies put their number to be around 600 to 800. Among
them, the number of foreign mercenaries could be less."
The restoration of democratic and political activities
and peaceful Amarnath yatra are indications that overall
situation in Jammu and Kashmir is very good, he said and
admitted that infiltration has however increased this year.
On role of army in restoration of peace in the state,
Bhardwaj said, "We are instruments of peace and will ensure
that complete peace is restored in the state."
Asked about any threat of Pakistan acquiring drone
missile technology, he said that there is no such threat on
this score and added, "Our country has also advanced and
improved technology in making weapons."
Drone missiles, however, have proved effective in dealing
with terrorists in parts of Pakistan, Bhardwaj said.
About situation along Line of Actual Control with China,
the army commander said that the situation along borders with
China was quite peaceful.
57 ultras killed from Jan to Aug: Army
As many as 57 terrorists
were killed during infiltration bids across the borders in
Jammu and Kashmir from January to August this year, a senior
army officer today said.
Briefing reporters at the Northern Command headquarters
here, Brigadier G Murali, BGS of Information Wing said that
Indian army had foiled 26 infiltration bids along the borders
in the state killing 57 terrorists this year.
However, infiltration has been continuing and has gone up
especially in the month of March this year, he said.
"There have been nearly 72 successful infiltration bids
between January and August this year. Of these 69 have taken
place in Kashmir valley and remaining three in Jammu region,"
said Brigadier Murali.
The number of terrorists that might have crossed to this
side during these infiltrations cannot be exactly assessed, he
The Brigadier said that the army had adopted a high level
of operational strategy both on borders and hinterland to
counter proxy war and it was yielding good results with
significant signs of normalcy in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'