6,000 Indians languishing in jails abroad
New Delhi: Over 6,000 Indians are currently languishing in foreign jails with maximum of 1,691 being lodged in Saudi Arabia.
External Affairs Salman Khurshid, replying to a question in Rajya Sabha, said a total of 6,293 Indians are imprisoned in various countries.
He said 1,012 Indians are lodged in jails in United Arab Emirates followed by 441 in the US, 426 people in United Kingdom, 377 in neighbouring Nepal, 279 in Qatar and 225 in Kuwait.
The number of Indians lodged in Pakistani prisons is 224 while 114 people are languishing in jails in Australia, 167 in Bangladesh, 187 in Malaysia, 52 in Iran and 27 in Afghan prisons.
Indians are also lodged in jails in various other countries including Greece, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bhutan, Cyprus, Egypt, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, Lebanon, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Myanmar, Oman, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
Khurshid said generally the offences for which Indians land in foreign jails include violation of visa rules such as overstay and illegal entry, non-possesion of valid travel documents, economic offences and violation of employment contracts.
"However, there are also a few cases of grave offences like drug trafficking, theft, murder etc committed by Indian nationals," he said.
The Minister said Indian Missions utilise the Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) to provide legal assistance in deserving cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up