65 incidents of airprox reported in last 3 yrs: Ajit Singh
New Delhi: Sixty-five incidents of aircrafts coming into close proximity were reported in last three years and some of them occurred when air traffic was being handled by trainee controllers, Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"There were a total of 65 Airprox reported during the last three years," Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh said in a written reply.
The Minister said investigations have found that the incidents occurred due to different reasons including failure of radar and other navigational aids, coordination issues and human error on the part of Air Traffic Control and pilots.
"Some airprox occurred when traffic was handled by a trainee controller during his on-the-job training albeit under the supervision of an instructor. The instructor was late in taking over or did not correct the conflicting situation in time," Singh said.
An airprox is a situation where distance between two aircraft is such that their safety is compromised.
The Minister said government has taken several measures to avoid recurrence of airprox which include modernisation of Air Traffic Control services, implementation of safety management systems at airports and creation of a separate directorate of air space and air traffic management in DGCA.
Elaborating on corrective measures, he said Flight Duty Time Limitation (FDTL) for pilots has been revised and issued as a CAR (Civil Aviation Requirement) by the DGCA.
The Minister said airlines have been directed to avoid use of similar/confusing signs and "corrective" training is given to pilots and Air Traffic Controllers besides amending training procedures.
He said modernised ATC services would include conflict warning in the system to assist Air Traffic Control Officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report