65 incidents of airprox reported in last 3 yrs: Ajit Singh
New Delhi: Sixty-five incidents of aircrafts coming into close proximity were reported in last three years and some of them occurred when air traffic was being handled by trainee controllers, Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"There were a total of 65 Airprox reported during the last three years," Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh said in a written reply.
The Minister said investigations have found that the incidents occurred due to different reasons including failure of radar and other navigational aids, coordination issues and human error on the part of Air Traffic Control and pilots.
"Some airprox occurred when traffic was handled by a trainee controller during his on-the-job training albeit under the supervision of an instructor. The instructor was late in taking over or did not correct the conflicting situation in time," Singh said.
An airprox is a situation where distance between two aircraft is such that their safety is compromised.
The Minister said government has taken several measures to avoid recurrence of airprox which include modernisation of Air Traffic Control services, implementation of safety management systems at airports and creation of a separate directorate of air space and air traffic management in DGCA.
Elaborating on corrective measures, he said Flight Duty Time Limitation (FDTL) for pilots has been revised and issued as a CAR (Civil Aviation Requirement) by the DGCA.
The Minister said airlines have been directed to avoid use of similar/confusing signs and "corrective" training is given to pilots and Air Traffic Controllers besides amending training procedures.
He said modernised ATC services would include conflict warning in the system to assist Air Traffic Control Officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video