6,569 Indian prisoners lodged in foreign jails
New Delhi: As many as 6,569 Indian prisoners are lodged in foreign jails for various crimes such as illegal entry and overstay.
"As per records available, there are about 6,569 (this figure keeps changing) Indian prisoners lodged in foreign jails for crimes like violation of immigration/visa rules, overstay, illegal entry, robbery, non-possession of valid travel document, valid visa/permit, etc.
"However, some Indians have also been jailed for grave offences like drug trafficking, murder, rape, etc," Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs E Ahmed said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
He also gave the country-wise list of Indian citizens in foreign jails which showed the maximum number of 1,691 Indian prisoners in UAE which included Indians arrested for fake iqamas (work permits), immoral relationships, traffic accident, sale of liquor and drug trafficking.
There are 254 Indian captives in jails in Pakistan which included civil prisoners and a large number of fishermen, the list showed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender