6,569 Indian prisoners lodged in foreign jails
New Delhi: As many as 6,569 Indian prisoners are lodged in foreign jails for various crimes such as illegal entry and overstay.
"As per records available, there are about 6,569 (this figure keeps changing) Indian prisoners lodged in foreign jails for crimes like violation of immigration/visa rules, overstay, illegal entry, robbery, non-possession of valid travel document, valid visa/permit, etc.
"However, some Indians have also been jailed for grave offences like drug trafficking, murder, rape, etc," Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs E Ahmed said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
He also gave the country-wise list of Indian citizens in foreign jails which showed the maximum number of 1,691 Indian prisoners in UAE which included Indians arrested for fake iqamas (work permits), immoral relationships, traffic accident, sale of liquor and drug trafficking.
There are 254 Indian captives in jails in Pakistan which included civil prisoners and a large number of fishermen, the list showed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?