6,569 Indian prisoners lodged in foreign jails
New Delhi: As many as 6,569 Indian prisoners are lodged in foreign jails for various crimes such as illegal entry and overstay.
"As per records available, there are about 6,569 (this figure keeps changing) Indian prisoners lodged in foreign jails for crimes like violation of immigration/visa rules, overstay, illegal entry, robbery, non-possession of valid travel document, valid visa/permit, etc.
"However, some Indians have also been jailed for grave offences like drug trafficking, murder, rape, etc," Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs E Ahmed said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
He also gave the country-wise list of Indian citizens in foreign jails which showed the maximum number of 1,691 Indian prisoners in UAE which included Indians arrested for fake iqamas (work permits), immoral relationships, traffic accident, sale of liquor and drug trafficking.
There are 254 Indian captives in jails in Pakistan which included civil prisoners and a large number of fishermen, the list showed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arun Jaitley's non-participation in SAARC won't matter, says Pak minister — Know what he said
- Live cricket score, live streaming: 2nd ODI - England v Pakistan at Lord's
- Acute Zika infection may damage sensory nerves
- Day after being sacked as AAP's Punjab convener, Sucha Singh Chhotepur calls for CBI probe
- Coal scam: Ex-Coal Secy says, don't want advocate whose fee I cannot pay; will face trial from jail