68,000 rape cases in 2009-11 but only 16,000 convicted
New Delhi: Nearly 68,000 rape cases were registered across the country during 2009-11 but only 16,000 rapists were sentenced to prison, presenting a dismal picture of conviction of sexual offenders.
According to the National Crime Records Bureau, 24,206 rape cases were registered in India in 2011 but only 5,724 people were convicted for the crime.
Similarly, in 2010, 22,172 rape cases were registered while the number of convicted persons for the crime was 5,632.
A total of 21,397 rape cases were registered in 2009 but only 5,316 persons could be convicted.
The highest number of rape cases -- 9,539 -- were registered in Madhya Pradesh between 2009-11 but only 2,986 persons were convicted during the period.
Altogether 7,010 rape cases were registered in West Bengal during 2009-11 but only 381 people could be convicted for the crime.
In Uttar Pradesh, 5,364 cases of rape were registered during the three year period and 3,816 persons were convicted for the crime.
A total of 5,052 rape cases were registered in Assam during 2009-11 but only 517 persons could be convicted during the said period.
"The poor rate of conviction is primarily due to prosecution`s inability to gather enough evidence against the accused following inadequate police investigation," a Home Ministry official said.
The NCRB data shows there were 1,22,292 cases of molestation during 2009-11 but only 27,408 people could be convicted for the offence during the said period.
A total of 19,618 cases of molestation were registered in Madhya Pradesh during the three year period but only 6,091 persons were convicted for the crime.
Maharashtra registered 10,651 cases of molestation between 2009-11 but only 595 people could be convicted for the crime.
There were 9,030 cases of molestation in Uttar Pradesh during the three year period. However, the number of convicted persons for the offence during the said period was relatively higher than other states at 7,958.
Kerala registered 9,232 cases of molestation during 2009-11 but convicted only 718 people during the said period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi