68.9% turnout in Hisar, Anna factor looms large
Hisar (Haryana): The bypoll for the Hisar
Lok Sabha seat on Thursday witnessed a voter turnout of 68.9 per
cent with the Anna factor raising the stakes for the ruling
Congress in a triangular fight.
The polling, necessitated due to the death of sitting MP
Bhajan Lal of Haryana Janhit Congress, passed off peacefully
in the nine assembly segments of the Lok Sabha constituency -
Adampur, Uklana SC, Narnaund, Hansi, Barwala, Hisar, Nalwa,
Uchana Kalan and Bawani Khera (SC), official sources said.
The by-poll will decide the electoral fortune of Jai
Prakash (Congress), Bhajan Lal`s son Kuldeep Bishnoi (HJC-BJP)
and Ajay Chautala (INLD). There are in all 40 candidates,
mostly independents, in the fray.
"The overall poll percentage of the nine assembly segments
stood at 68.9 per cent as against 69.3 per cent in 2009 and
67.72 in 2004 for the Hisar LS seat," Haryana`s Chief
Electoral Officer Sumita Misra told agency. Hisar has an
electorate of 13.32 lakh.
Polling began at 8 am and ended at 5 pm, though long
queues were seen inside the polling booths when voting was
about to end. For the first time, videography was done at all
Misra said polling remained completely peaceful and no
untoward incident was reported from anywhere.
As the day progressed, polling picked up and was brisk
in Adampur, Bhajan Lal`s family stronghold, which registered
the highest turnout of 75 per cent.
Uchana Kalan, which is represented in the Haryana Assembly
by INLD President and former Chief Minister Om Prakash
Chautala, witnessed the second highest turnout at 71.67 per
cent. However, Hisar Assembly segment recorded the lowest
turnout of 62.43 per cent.
Misra said barring a couple of technical glitches, the
polling passed off smoothly. EVMs had to be replaced at two
places in Narnaund constituency. In Agroha village in Adampur,
people boycotted polling against non-resolution of a dispute
over a piece of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in