69th birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi: Congress leaders in TN, Gujarat offer cash gift for newborns
Tiruchirappalli: Some Congressmen on Tuesday observed the 69th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister late Rajiv Gandhi in their own way-- announcing cash gifts to babies born on this day.
Joseph Louis, TNCC member and son of former MP from Tiruchirappalli district AGL Adaikalaraj, said he will deposit Rs 2,500 in a bank in the names of baby girls born in the district and upon them reaching the age of 18, they would get a maturity value of Rs 28,000.
The girl children born in government hospitals, Primary Health Centres, Health Centres and other state-owned medical centres in the district would be eligible for the benefit, he said, adding he was working with a private bank for implementing the programme.
The fixed deposit certificates would be handed over to the parents of the children at a function in Tiruchirappalli on September 16, the birthday of Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Louis said.
Louis said he was in the process of getting the list of newborns in the district from Health Department officials.
Unlike Louis`s offer, a Congress leader`s cash gift in Gujarat is for both baby girls and boys.
The Congress unit in Vadodara district said babies born today in this district would be presented Rs 1,001 cash gift.
"I have extended an invitation to the mothers who give birth to their babies in maternity hospital on August 20th to register their names at my office (for the cash offer)," Vadodara district Congress committee president Vinubhai J Patel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!