7 killed in North due to rains
New Delhi: Seven persons have been killed in rain-related incidents in Northern region where showers brought down temperatures giving relief from hot and humid weather.
However, rains eluded the national capital, where temperature remained above normal levels.
While the maximum temperature was recorded at 34.5 degree Celsius, the minimum temperature settled at 29.8 degree Celsius in Delhi.
The maximum temperature was one degree above normal, while the minimum temperature was three degrees above normal.
In UP, three persons were killed and one more injured after being struck by lightning in two villages of Shahjahanpur district yesterday.
Four children of a family were killed when their house collapsed following heavy rainfall in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir this morning. Six other members of the family were also injured.
Moderate to rather heavy rains occurred at a few places over Uttar Pradesh, according to the Meteorological office.
Several parts of Punjab and Haryana witnessed moderate to heavy rains bringing mercury down and providing respite to the people from humid weather.
In Punjab, Ludhiana got 12 mm rains, Patiala 5 mm, Pathankot 2 mm, Madhopur 30 mm, Shahpur Kandi belt 102 mm, Ropar 10 mm, Ranjit Sagar Dam 22.6 mm and Mohali 40 mm.
The maximum temperature in Chandigarh was recorded at 27.4 deg C, down by six notches. Ambala registered a high of 27.8 deg C, down five degrees while Rohtak`s maximum was 32.6 deg C, down by one degree.
Rajasthan also received mild to moderate rains in several parts of the state during the past 24 hours, the MeT department has said.
While Rajsamand recorded the maximum rainfall of 2 cm, Baseri and Bhopalsagar recorded 1 cm of rainfall each, MeT officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez