7-km long human chain to raise awareness on Ganga pollution
Varanasi: Thousands of people on Monday held
each others` hand and reaffirmed their pledge to save the
national river, Ganga, which has drawn the attention of the
environmentalists world over due to its alarming pollution
Students, men and women formed a 7-km long human chain
this morning at the world-famous ghats on `World Water Day`,
contributing their bit to raise awareness about rising
pollution in the holy river and save it from extinction.
Hand in hand, thousands of them pledged in this regard
from the Assi ghat to Adikeshav ghat.
Sankat Mochan Foundation, an NGO working towards making
the Ganga pollution-free, had organised the event for the 11th
NGO`s chairman Veerbhadra Mishra said through the human
chain, they wanted to draw the government`s attention towards
flow of sewage into the Ganga which has led to its pathetic
Filled with chemical waste, sewage and animal and human
remains, the river poses major health risks to around 400
million people living by its side and others who benefit from
it, he said.
Another hurdle in the form of silting results into
chocking of its flow, he said, adding construction of big dams
is a major cause of low water level in the river.
"Nearly 243 dams are slated to be constructed on the
tributaries of the Ganga in Uttarakhand. This will obstruct
the flow of water into the main river. There will be sand
dunes and the water level will be low," Mishra said.
Local BJP MLA Shyamdev Roy Chowdhary said efforts have
always been made to clean up the Ganga, but none have proved
"Even the Ganga Action Plan in 1986 yielded little
result," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster