70% girls in Hindi belt marry before 18: NCW
Puducherry: The National Commission for Women on Saturday said it was "alarming" that around 70 percent of girls are below 18 at the time of their marriage in Hindi-speaking states like Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Bihar.
Furnishing details, NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas said 73 percent girls under 18 marry in Madhya Pradesh followed by Rajasthan 68 percent, Bihar 67 percent and Uttar Pradesh 64 percent.
She described the incidence as alarming and said that in Andhra Pradesh too 71 percent girls tied the knot while still below 18.
She said it was found that even in two districts in Kerala there was child marriage despite education being "quite good" in the state.
Vyas was inaugurating a one day seminar organised by NCW in association with the Puducherry Women`s Commission.
She stressed the need for uniformity in marriageable age for men and women.
Vyas told reporters later that there should not be any kind of harassment of women and no room for discrimination, and state governments should take steps in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement