70% girls in Hindi belt marry before 18: NCW
Puducherry: The National Commission for Women on Saturday said it was "alarming" that around 70 percent of girls are below 18 at the time of their marriage in Hindi-speaking states like Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Bihar.
Furnishing details, NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas said 73 percent girls under 18 marry in Madhya Pradesh followed by Rajasthan 68 percent, Bihar 67 percent and Uttar Pradesh 64 percent.
She described the incidence as alarming and said that in Andhra Pradesh too 71 percent girls tied the knot while still below 18.
She said it was found that even in two districts in Kerala there was child marriage despite education being "quite good" in the state.
Vyas was inaugurating a one day seminar organised by NCW in association with the Puducherry Women`s Commission.
She stressed the need for uniformity in marriageable age for men and women.
Vyas told reporters later that there should not be any kind of harassment of women and no room for discrimination, and state governments should take steps in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months