70 SpiceJet passengers had harrowing time at Hyd
Hyderabad: About 70 passengers of a Visakhapatnam-Mumbai SpiceJet flight had a harrowing time during their stopover at Hyderabad where they were stranded for the entire night as the airline failed to fly them on their onward journey.
It all began when 150 passengers, out of which 70 were bound for Mumbai, checked in at Vizag airport at around 7 pm yesterday for journey to Hyderabad and from there to Mumbai.
The airline staff informed the passengers that the flight was delayed by half-an-hour. Subsequently, the passengers said, they were told that the flight had been cancelled due to non-availability of pilots whose duty hours were over, a claim which was denied by the low-cost airline.
However, the SG 402 flight took off from Visakhapatnam at around mid-night and an hour later reached Hyderabad where the Mumbai-bound passengers were informed by the airline staff that they could not be flown there due to a "technical problem" in the aircraft.
The passengers said that they were asked to collect their fare refund for Hyderabad-Mumbai sector and left to fend for themselves. "We had to spend the entire night at the Hyderabad airport and we could fly onwards to Mumbai only after buying new tickets in other airlines," one of them said.
"I was supposed to catch a flight to Saudi Arabia from Mumbai, which I have missed. Now I have to bear a loss of more than Rs 15,000," a passenger, Praveen Kumar, said. Another traveller said he could take the flight for Mumbai at 11.30 hours today after having spent over 10 hours at the airport.
When contacted, a SpiceJet spokeswoman denied that pilots had refused to fly the aircraft and said it was delayed at Visakhapatnam due to a technical problem.
Supriya, another passenger, claimed the airline staff was "discourteous" and "harassed us" by offloading their luggage at Hyderabad airport without offering an alternative flight to Mumbai.
Himanshu, another passenger for Mumbai, said he had to spend Rs 11,800 to buy a fresh ticket to Mumbai in another airline after being stranded for nearly 15 hours at Visakhapatnam and Hyderabad airports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing