70-year-old widow wants equality with Sanjay Dutt on pardon
New Delhi: Even as the din to pardon Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt is growing by the day, another convict in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, Zaibunissa Kazi sent out an appeal to the Governor of Maharashtra on Tuesday to have mercy on her.
A tearful and heart-broken Zaibunnisa, 70, asked the Governor to look at her case, just like he was being asked to by host of politicians and celebrities to look at the case of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt.
“Have a look at my case too. I have been fighting for the past 20 years. I do not have the will to surrender again,” implored Kazi.
She also said that she had a kidney operation sometime back due to which she could not walk properly.
Kazi repeated again and again that she had not done anything wrong and that she was only a victim of circumstances.
Breaking down at the end of her appeal she said that she will ‘die’ if she has to go back to jail.
Apart from the Bollywood fraternity, the political class too has been seeking clemency for the only son of Sunil and Nargis Dutt. Justice (Retired) Markandey Katju has been spearheading the campaign on the grounds that Sanjya Dutt had already suffered enough. Political parties like the NCP, the Samajwadi Party and the INLD want him to be pardoned and consider his punishment too stringent. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has also joined the bandwagon. Amar Singh and Jaya Prada have gone ahead and met the Governot today.
However, amidst the clamour to pardon Sanjay, the case of Zaibunissa Anwar Kazi has not been considered important enough for anyone to take up. At least that is what the lady herself and her daughter feel so. While Zaibunissa made an appeal today, he daughter told a TV channel few days back that if she was a celebrity or if her mother was a celebrity then they would also have got the same support that Sanjay was receiving.
It is said that both Kazi and Dutt have been by and large convicted of the same crime of keeping illegal weapons and that too in a notified area which Mumbai was at that time. They did receive the same jail term of five years. However, the difference was that Kazi was charged under TADA and Dutt was charged under the Arms Act.
Kazi has already spent time 8 months in jail and was out on bail till now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day