71 spies arrested in last four years
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday said 71 spies were arrested by security forces from different areas in the last four years.
Minister of State for Home RPN Singh told Lok Sabha that 26 espionage agents were arrested in 2009 while 18 such agents were arrested in 2010, 14 in 2011 and 13 were arrested till November 21 this year.
Out of the 71 agents, five were neutralised in Bihar and three were found to have been involved in criminal activities in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Delhi.
Replying to another question, the Minister said various terrorist groups, including Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), Indian Mujahideen (IM) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) are engaged in terrorist activities in the country.
"As per available information, militants/terrorists active in India are often supported by their parent outfits based abroad, particularly in Pakistan," he said.
Singh said other terrorists outfits which are active in India include Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, Al-Umma, Al Badr, Harkat-ul-Jehadi-Islami, Hizb-ul-Mujahideen, Babbar Khalsa International, Khalistan Zindabad Force and Khalistan Tiger Force.
In response to another question, Singh said Bengaluru Central Crime Branch and ATS Aurangabad, Maharashtra busted a terror module in Karnataka with the arrest of 18 persons recently.
"The group was planning to target political leaders and media persons. They were also planning to commit robberies in Hubli for raising funds for carrying out terrorist activities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead