7,121 Indian soldiers deployed in UN Missions: Antony
New Delhi: A total of 7,121 Indian soldiers have been deployed in the UN Missions and 18 troops have been killed in various operations there since 2010, Defence Minister A K Antony informed the Lok Sabha today.
In a written reply, he provided the details of soldiers deployed in UN Mission and the number of casualties which have taken place there during last few years.
He said so far this year, six Indian soldiers were killed in UN operations, five of whom died in South Sudan. Last year four soldiers were killed in Congo, followed by one each in Lebanon and South Sudan.
Maximum deployment of 3,766 Indian troops is in Congo, followed by 2,249 troops in South Sudan, he said.
On the assistance provided to the next of kin of the soldiers killed, Antony said, "USD 70,000 is paid to the next of kin of the deceased from UN HQ through Permanent Mission of India, New York."
He also said that the Indian Government pays the next of kin all the benefits and entitlements including death benefits, death cum retirement gratuity, provident fund subscription, liberalised family pension and ex-gratia compensation.
On steps taken to ensure security of soldiers in these missions, Antony said, "Soldiers deployed in peacekeeping missions are equipped with personal protection kit. Infantry Combat Vehicles are also deployed in the Mission as per the operational necessity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!