72,500 families added under Antyodaya scheme: Pawar
New Delhi: A total of 72,500 households have
been added under the government`s Antyodaya Anna Yojna scheme
to provide subsidied foodgrains to the poorest of the poor
through ration shops, Parliament was informed today.
"AAY was launched in December 2000 for the poorest of the
poor among the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families," Food and
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said in a written reply
in the Lok Sabha.
The Centre provides wheat at Rs 2 per kg and rice at Rs 3
per kg to Antyodaya Anna Yojna (AAY) families. For BPL
families, the rate is slightly higher at Rs 4.15 and Rs 5.65
per kg, respectively.
The scheme aims to cover 2.5 crore AAY families, he said,
adding that states and the Union Territories have issued
ration cards to 2.43 crore AAY families.
From this fiscal, the Centre is providing subsidised food
grains to 72,500 more household and the entire increase in the
number of AAY households is in Bihar, according to the data
submitted by the minister in the House.
The total allocation of rice and wheat for AAY families
has increased by 27,890 tonnes in 2010-11 fiscal because of
increase in the number of beneficiaries under the scheme.
Pawar said several states have been demanding that more
families be covered under AAY, but the same cannot be
"As the state governments are required to identify AAY
families within the ceiling on number of AAY families given to
each state/UT government, their request for coverage of
additional families beyond the targeted number could not be
acceded to," he pointed out.
Requests for increasing the number of beneficiaries and
higher allocation under AAY have been received from the state
governments like Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Jammu &
Kashmir, Maharashtra, Orissa and Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report