`75 percent funds of parties from unknown sources`
New Delhi: An NGO on Friday alleged that over 75 percent of the funds of India`s national political parties came from "unknown" sources.
According to the Association for Democratic Reforms, which works for good governance and transparency in politics, an analysis of the Income Tax returns and statements filed by parties with the Election Commission, showed that most of the sources of funding of six national political parties remain largely unknown.
Out of the total income of parties between 2004-05 to 2011-12 amounting to Rs 4,895 crore, as much as Rs 3,674 crore came from funds whose sources were unknown, it said.
The parties whose data was analysed included the Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party, Communist Party of India-Marxist, Communist Party of India, Bahujan Samaj Party and Nationalist Congress Party.
"Why can`t the public get to know about the funding of parties when this is the practice in many countries including smaller ones like Nepal and Bhutan in our neighbourhood," asked Trilochan Sastry of the ADR.
"ADR recommends that full details of all donors should be made available for public scrutiny under the Right to Information," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video