75-year-old woman arrested for cheating Canadian
Siliguri: A 75-year-old Indian woman was Tuesday arrested for misappropriating over Rs.2 million given to her by a Canadian for setting up an orphanage in Siliguri in northern West Bengal.
Police said Nisith Mukund alias Nishant Mukund, a widow, was arrested following allegations by Canadian Wilhelmina Johan that the Indian had misappropriated Rs.22.5 lakh and purchased a flat with the money.
Wilhelmina and Nishant got to know each other 10 years back through the internet, said Swapan Kumar Ghosh, inspector in-charge of Pradhan Nagar police station.
In subsequent years, they became close and visited each other`s country. While on a tour to Siliguri, Wilhelmina expressed willingness to set up an orphanage and handed over Rs.22.50 lakh in phases to Nishant.
However, Nishant did not use the money for building an orphanage and instead purchased a flat at Patel Road in the town in 2005, Wilhelmina alleged.
"The Canadian found this out when she came to India in January and filed a police complaint. So long Nishant was absconding. Today (Tuesday) we caught her. She is now being interrogated," Ghosh said.
Nishant was Tuesday brought to court, which remanded her in police custody for three days.
Cases for misappropriation of funds and cheating have been filed against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town