75,000 children missing in last 3 yrs India: Govt
New Delhi: Around 75,000 children have gone missing in the last three years in the country and are still untraced, the Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
Of the about 2.36 lakh children who went missing in the last three years, 1,61,800 have been traced, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Paban Singh Ghatowar said during the Question Hour.
"Unfortunately about 75,000 are still untraced," he said.
The Centre, he said, has issued advisories to states to appoint nodal officers at all police stations to deal with such cases and make registration of FIRs mandatory.
The advisories followed two interim orders of Supreme Court in January 2013, he said.
The Supreme Court had ordered mandatory recording of FIR with regard to missing children and formation of special Juvenile Police units in different states.
Ghatowar, who was replying on behalf of Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath, admitted that the issue of missing children has assumed an "alarming" proportion.
He informed the House that a web portal `TrackChild` has been launched on a pilot basis to deal with the issue.
States are also being asked to update data on missing children on the portal, he said.
The Minister further said the problem of children going missing was due to economic and social reasons and also due to criminal activities.
He, however, said there was no information that missing children were being sold in neighbouring countries.
When asked about children being kidnapped from hospital, he said there have been such cases but law and order is a state subject.
As per a data of National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), 34,406 children were untraced in 2011, 23,236 in 2010 and 18,166 in the previous year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre