76 trafficked children return home in northeast
Imphal: Seventy-six children, who were rescued after being allegedly forced into child labour in Tamil Nadu, were brought back to their homes in Manipur and Assam Friday, officials said.
The children, aged between 12 and 14, had been rescued by the Tamil Nadu police from Chennai and Kanyakumari last month. They arrived in Guwahati Thursday evening.
Of the 76 children, 52 were from Manipur and 24 from Haflong in north Cachar hills district in southern Assam.
"The children from a poor background had been lured away two to three years ago by an unregistered NGO that promised their families better education in the southern metropolis. But they were allegedly forced into child labour and sexual exploitation," a police spokesman told reporters.
"The Assam police and social welfare department of Assam and Manipur in association with the Tamil Nadu police had rescued the children and brought them back to their homes," the official said.
POlice officials in Assam and Manipur will talk to the children later to know more about their captivity in Tamil Nadu.
The Tamil Nadu police have arrested three people in connection with the child trafficking and are looking for others involved in the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Nita Ambani launch multi-discipline sports initiative; laud PM Modi for Olympics task force idea
- ISRO successfully tests scramjet rocket engine
- Rafael Nadal hoping to continue Rio Olympics momentum at US Open
- Guess who? This A-list Bollywood actress can give up career to marry the man she loves
- 'Mann Ki Baat': From praising India's daughters to concern over loss of lives in Kashmir - What all PM Narendra Modi said