797 policemen died on duty in one year
New Delhi: Around 800 police and para-military personnel sacrificed their lives in the past one year during operations or attacks on them with CRPF topping the
list with 191 such cases.
A total of 797 personnel from state police and para-military forces like BSF, CRPF and NSG were killed during a period from September 1, 2009 and August 31 this year.
CRPF, which is in the forefront of anti-Naxal operations, topped the list of casualties with 191 which included 76 personnel who laid their lives in Chhattisgarh`s
Uttar Pradesh and BSF followed CRPF in casualties with 99 and 64 cases respectively.
During 2008 September and August last year, the police forces lost 841 lives with UP topping the list with 107 cases followed by CRPF (81) and BSF (72).
Punjab Police lost 57 policemen during the period while Naxal-affected state Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh had 43 and 21 casualties respectively.
The figures for Jammu and Kashmir (49), West Bengal (48), SSB (29), RPF (18), CISF (8) and ITBP (6).
A Commemoration day was today observed by various police organisations in the national capital.
Delhi Police lost nine police officers during the period. Special Commissioner (Administration) Neeraj Kumar took the salute on the occasion as Commissioner YS Dadwal is on leave till next Monday.
Twenty-five policemen died in Orissa while the figure was nine for Karnataka, Uttarakhand (18), Bihar (16), Manipur (10), Madhya Pradesh (8), Nagaland (5) and Assam (1).
The National Security Guards lost five of their sharpshooters while Rajasthan Police lost one during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks