797 policemen died on duty in one year
New Delhi: Around 800 police and para-military personnel sacrificed their lives in the past one year during operations or attacks on them with CRPF topping the
list with 191 such cases.
A total of 797 personnel from state police and para-military forces like BSF, CRPF and NSG were killed during a period from September 1, 2009 and August 31 this year.
CRPF, which is in the forefront of anti-Naxal operations, topped the list of casualties with 191 which included 76 personnel who laid their lives in Chhattisgarh`s
Uttar Pradesh and BSF followed CRPF in casualties with 99 and 64 cases respectively.
During 2008 September and August last year, the police forces lost 841 lives with UP topping the list with 107 cases followed by CRPF (81) and BSF (72).
Punjab Police lost 57 policemen during the period while Naxal-affected state Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh had 43 and 21 casualties respectively.
The figures for Jammu and Kashmir (49), West Bengal (48), SSB (29), RPF (18), CISF (8) and ITBP (6).
A Commemoration day was today observed by various police organisations in the national capital.
Delhi Police lost nine police officers during the period. Special Commissioner (Administration) Neeraj Kumar took the salute on the occasion as Commissioner YS Dadwal is on leave till next Monday.
Twenty-five policemen died in Orissa while the figure was nine for Karnataka, Uttarakhand (18), Bihar (16), Manipur (10), Madhya Pradesh (8), Nagaland (5) and Assam (1).
The National Security Guards lost five of their sharpshooters while Rajasthan Police lost one during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 48 hours on, Indian Air Force's AN 32 still untraceable; families of missing officials pray for good news
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area